For information on theories and theorists
- Look for books by a theorist (as author) — this can be considered your primary source
- Look for books which talk about a theorist (as subject) if you want to read what others have said about the theorist
For books on general cultural/developmental issues
Subject headings to try:
- Child development—crosscultural studies
- Developmental psychology—crosscultural studies
- Families—crosscultural studies
- Minorities—mental health
- Ethnic groups—psychology
- Native Americans; Indians of North America
- Asian Americans—cultural assimilation
- Social life and customs
- Sample titles
- Cross-cultural research in human development : life span perspectives
- Ethnocultural aspects of posttraumatic stress disorder
- Asian/American: historical crossings of a racial frontier
- The Cambridge history of the native peoples of the Americas
- Link to select bibliography of titles
Research databases identify books & journal articles on a particular topic (not just what AUNE Library owns).
- Academic Search Complete in OhioLINK includes Psychology & Sociology journals.
- Bibliography of Native North Americans: covers all aspects of native North American culture, history, and life; contains citations for books, essays, journal articles, and government documents of the United States and Canada.
- PsycBOOKS Full text collection of books published by the APA.
- PsycINFO: primary psychology database; comprehensive index to literature. Does NOT contain any full text.
- ProQuest Psychology Journals is a collection full text searchable database of over 400 journals.
- Use your local library to find cultural and ethnic background information.
- Get in touch with Cary for help with defining your topic and finding appropriate resources.
These books are in AUNE Library's collection. Check our online catalog for availability.
- The adolescent: development, relationships, and culture / F. Philip Rice
- Child and adolescent development / Kelvin L. Seifert, Robert J. Hoffnung
- Childhood and adolescence: cross-cultural perspectives and applications / edited by Uwe P. Gielen and Jaipaul Roopnarine
- Children's play in diverse cultures / Jaipaul L. Roopnarine, James E. Johnson, and Frank H. Hooper, editors
- Cross-cultural differences in perspectives on the self / Virginia Murphy-Berman, and John J. Berman, volume editors
- Cross-cultural roots of minority child development / edited by Patricia M. Greenfield, Rodney R. Cocking
- Culture, ethnicity, and mental illness / edited by Albert C. Gaw
- The developing person through the life span / Kathleen Stassen Berger
- Developmental psychology in the Soviet Union / Jaan Valsiner
- Female adolescent development / edited by Max Sugar
- Girls, self-esteem, and relationships: a perspective on rural and low-income girls / by Demetra M. Rabiecki
- Handbook of diversity issues in health psychology / edited by Pamela M. Kato and Traci Mann
- Human development in cultural context: a third world perspective / A. Bame Nsamenang
- Life-span development: a diversity reader / edited by Richard A. Pierce, Michael A. Black
- Lifespan development in context: voices and perspectives / David N. Sattler ... [et al.]
- New dimensions in adult development / Robert A. Nemiroff and Calvin A. Colarusso, editors
- New perspectives on racial identity development: a theoretical and practical anthology / edited by Charmaine L. Wijeyesinghe and Bailey W. Jackson III
- Normal child and adolescent development / Ralph Gemelli
- Readings on the development of children / edited by Mary Gauvain, Michael Cole
- Relational theory in a South Asian context: an example of the dynamics of identity development / Lisa Desai
- Theories of development: concepts and applications / Willian Crain